In a brilliant post, DIY & Dragon made a long list of various resources in RPGs and how they are often managed in D&D. She highlighted the fact that the ULTIMATE resource is not hp, xp or spell slots, but *player time*. This time should be spent wisely doing something fun, and not spent on tedious tasks that are not the goal/fun parts of the game. If you are really into intrigue, you don't want to spend 1/4 of your time fiddling with encumbrance.
In this vein, I've been thinking a lot about the GLOG and my experience with it, and what worked and what didn't. I really liked the minimalistic aspect of the game play, which allowed the players to focus on scheming, shenanigans and hilarious mishaps, along with dabbling with magic. Great stuff. However, the trap detection system is non existent… and my understanding is that in old-school gaming, you just describe how you are detecting traps: I look for a trip wire, I look for a pressure plate, I look for holes in the ceiling from which darts, burning acid or bees would come out etc etc etc. This procedure takes a lot *player time*, and I'm not sure if it's actually better than "I search for trap" "Ok roll for it" and adjudicate the results.
And if you agree that the trap finding part is tedious and not a good use of player time then... a trap finding skill is needed...
… and from that, it's just a hop and a skip to claiming that a proper skill system should be added to the GLOG! And well... as long as it was fairly simple, I *think* that it would be ok. BUT it would be *essential* that the fundamental principle that "a good plan works and doesn't need a roll" be respected. If the trap is a trip wire, and the player specifically looks for those then... it's found.
What skill system? I don't know. I hear that LotFP has a good one? I'm reasonably satisfied with the 5e one, although, ironically, I find it is at its worse when traps are concerned - there is something called passive perception, and a high passive perception basically auto-detects traps. And that's not great either.

0 Comments